Monday, September 27, 2010

Is this author CRAZY...

I have a confession to make, Lyrik's behavior has finally drawn me to seek HELP. So I went to barns and noble yesterday in search from this magical book that was going to teach me how to control this terrible behavior. I was directed to, two books. I guess that's all they had. One look more fit for what I was looking for, talked about tantrums, and struggles with bed-times, and eating habits, it basically looked PERFECT for what I am going threw, then the other was titled "scream free parenting". Now I am human and when Lyrik pushes and pushes I do get to the point where I am screaming! But this hardly happens so I wasn't leaning toward this book. Specially not over the other one, that actually had what I was going threw listed on the front cover. But when the clerk directed me to these books, she told me the "scream free parenting" was a best seller, and she recommend it. I had a very hard time choosing one, so I took both to the check out, I asked the clerk which one was better for a child that never listens, hits, breaks things, and won't nap, or eat real food. Now I though for-sure, that I had pointed out the exact same things listed on the book I wanted to get, she would say that one. But she also told me the "Scream Free Parenting" with-out questioning her. 1. because Lyrik was not restrained in any device and was running all over the store, and 2. I didn't think questioning two clerks would be worth my time. Yes even though I am not seeing how me hardly screaming at Lyrik, and this book that's all about that, was going to solve my problem, I was in doubt. When I got home I put Lyrik and Trinity for there nap and proceeded to read this book, I got threw the third chapter when I started wondering if a refund was an option. I seriously though this Author was a nut job, what I had gotten from it that far was that you take the focus off your children and focus onto yourself, it also asked question after the second chapter about why haven't you put the focus on yourself, is it because you think it's selfish? WHAT THE HECK, I think when you have children you have made the decision to be as unselfish as possible and put all attention, love, and FOCUS on them to help them learn, and grow!! Well I didn't read more and till this morning and i am glad I made the choice to read it instead of returning it, but I know understand as I made it threw another chapter what it means by taking the focus off your children and putting it onto yourself.
It's saying when you lose your "COOL" when you "SCREAM" which there is more then one forum a screaming, Walking away from the situation is a forum of screaming to a child, along other things. But when you lose it, when you feel that anger building up inside, when you just KNOW that you have reached that ultimate breaking point, where you know that your child BETTER fix whatever it is that he/she is doing before you lose it, that they BETTER fix this problem, or listen RIGHT NOW. My two year old little boy needs to fix MY anger!! That's exactly my point, my two year old doesn't have and NEVER will at any age have the capability of making ME lose MY cool. Because he doesn't have control of my actions ONLY I DO. I hold the remote to my life, and when I let go to try and take CONTROL of my Son's I am letting go of mine. I CAN'T control my Son to be good, all I can do is be a good example to him of how I can control myself, and hope that he takes my lead and takes control of his screams whether they are silent of loud. But me walking away when he throws a tantrum, me screaming at him to get back into his bed after the 100th time of him getting out, and 2 hours later. WILL NOT stop him from doing it, because be LOVES the attention he is getting from me when I LOOSE IT. It will only hurt my relationship with my Son. Plus children love attention, negative or positive. Now I get why I need to take the focus off Lyrik and put it on myself. Because I need to stop blaming my two year old, when I lose it. I need to focus on what I am going to do, in each situation that happens to show him a good example, and discipline in a clam and collective manner, and not ignore it or walk away from it. Maybe I did something to make his behavior the way it is. He has been threw a lot in the last few months.

2 comments:

  1. on 97.1 zht they alwyas talk about this book and have some dude come in and talk....so it sounds like a way good book. maybe i should get it to prepare myself for braylee's terrible twos haha

    ReplyDelete